Introduction to Permaculture
24 – 25 April 2021 17 – 18 July 2021
About this course
Join us for a two-day introduction to permaculture design theory and action.
In this rapidly changing world, we are all looking for solutions that can aid our community’s stability. We’re talking systems for living, architecture, food production, land management and community.
Permaculture is a design methodology in which we learn from nature how to manage systems and to fulfil human needs with minimal negative environmental impact. Permaculture is not just about growing food in a sustainable way. It is also about looking after people, the land and all living things.
This ‘taster’ will provide an opportunity to actively learn about the principles and see examples of designs being implemented by projects.
So, come along and learn what Permaculture is all about, and what it can do for you and your current lifestyle. It’s also a great opportunity to meet and connect with like-minded people.
This course will give you an overview of how to apply pro-active, design techniques to your immediate environment – this can be done in your home or garden, a small holding or an apartment balcony. The long-term payoff is simple, sustainable systems that requires much less time, energy, or resources from you
What will I learn?
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand permaculture growing methods,
- Recognise and utilise natural patterns in nature,
- Design for minimum intervention and maximum yield,
- Harvest and conserve energy,
- Permaculture composting and the value of healthy soils,
- Learn how to understand and manage relationships between people and the land.
- The course is lively, participatory and thought provoking. In addition, it is designed to benefit everyone regardless of learning style, experience and ag.
Karen is a certified teacher through the UK Permaculture Association. https://www.permaculture.org.uk/user/karen-noon
Tea, coffee and refreshments provided. During these Coronavirus times we would request that you bring a packed lunch.
Price: €60 for the weekend
“The only impossible journey is the one you never begin.” – Tony Robbins
Permaculture Design Course (Full time)
4 – 18 June 2021 6 – 20 August 2021
About this course
This summer we will be running the international standard curriculum of the 72-hour permaculture course which is certified by the Permaculture Association (UK).
The Permaculture Design Course will guide you through the origins, development and application of permaculture. Exploring the ethics, principle, design tools and methodologies you will learn how to create holistic systems, designed to work in harmony with nature and to create productive and sustainable systems for living.
- We are situated in rural Brittany with the beautiful, inspiring countryside on our doorstep
- We have 3 teaching areas all unique and different.
- Our classes are designed to be relaxed, interactive and fun. We look to cater for all learning styles.
- The course will include curriculum topics presented using a variety of methods which will include lectures, discussions/debates, hands on activities, group projects and site visits.
- We welcome people of all ages, background and levels of experience: please come with an open mind and be prepared to learn, share and enjoy meeting like-minded people.
- Teaching will be conducted in English.
- We will also have feature sessions with guest teachers, and site visits showing local permaculture projects in action.
- Hearty and delicious vegetarian lunches will be served, and food is either grown at Afrinoon Permaculture or sourced from the gardens of our community Association #Cercle15
The goal of the PDC is to give you a good understanding of permaculture design, and enough confidence to take action and continue learning.
There are various accommodation options on offer in close proximity to the venue (including camping) so please get in touch to find out more.
This is a non-residential course which includes lunch, refreshments, teaching, site visits, handouts and access to online resources – €575.00
A €170.00 deposit is required at the time of booking and this will be deducted from final fee.
“Dare to live the dreams you have dreamed for yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Permaculture Design Course (Part-time)
This course will be run over 9 weeks. One full day per week
About this course
Do you want to transform your property into a beautiful, sustainable & healthy oasis?
Do you want to redesign your property. Learn to live healthier, more sustainably, and while still creating abundance in your life?
This course enables you to create a complete permaculture design for your own project over the course of a few months, and at the end you will earn your internationally-standard Permaculture Design Certificate. The course content has a wide and flexible application, not only in home-based settings, but also for those wishing to apply permaculture design within their business or community.
We will give you the knowledge and tools to enable you to use permaculture design in a context that is meaningful to you. This slower paced course gives you time to absorb and practice what you learn as we move through the modules.
The skills that you learn in this course have an endless variety of applications. After all, sustainable living is one of the fastest growing themes, both socially, environmentally and economically.
Some of the content we will explore will include:
- Permaculture ethics and guiding principles
- Pattern in design
- Why we need Permaculture.
- Cultivated Ecology: such as regenerative pastures, forest gardens, no-till cultivation, biological pest control.
- Waste reduction in the home, recycling and disposal.
- Soils: Soil regeneration techniques and soil conservation.
- Water in the Landscape
- Forests and Trees: Woodland establishment and management
- Invisible Structures: Real wealth, land access, formal/informal economy
- Design: Design process and tools, maps and overlays, project planning.
Karen is a certified educator through the UK Permaculture Association. For more information https://www.permaculture.org.uk/user/karen-noon and this course curriculum is certified by the Permaculture Association.
We will meet once a week for 9 weeks and the course includes a vegetarian lunch, refreshments, teaching, site visits, handouts and access to online resources – €400.00.
Deposit: €150.00 is required at the time of booking and this will be deducted from final fee.
“Permaculture is about restoring balance in our thinking, behaviour and the world around us” – David Holmgren, co-originator of permaculture
About this course
This course is suitable for everyone with an interest in permaculture, but more specifically would like to focus on the food production aspect.
Permaculture gardens serve many functions. Rather than limit the garden to only one use, permaculture gardens employ a variety of uses. A permaculture garden provides food and medicinal crops, wildlife habitats, crafting materials, an attractive appearance, and a private, relaxing atmosphere throughout every season.
Karen will take you through the process of creating a productive and thriving edible garden – that doesn’t cost the earth.
Some of the topic that we will cover include:
- Creating your garden – where to start? – we will go over some simple strategies using a range of approaches, from no dig method to containers and raised beds.
- Caring for the earth – Learn about the different growing methods which underpin permaculture, natural systems which constitute ecology i.e. the relationships between water, soils, plants and animals. We will discuss zonal planning and look at sectors and how they influence your land, along with other permaculture systems that will help mitigate problems and design more effective systems
- Creating Healthy Soils – a healthy soil is the basis of all great gardens, nutritious food and our own health. We explore worms and compost, compost teas, mycelium and mulch. We look at soil sampling and how to protect and build new topsoil.
- Growing abundant healthy food – we will look at how to design a low-maintenance edible organic garden. We will go over topics like planting guilds, companion planting and pest control. You will also learn about the benefits of seed saving and some basic techniques. In addition we will discuss planting with the seasons, and explore ways to bring diversity into your garden to benefit wildlife and insects.
This course is run over 3 weekends each weekend costs €40 per person.
We would love to hear from you.
9 Bellevue 56320 Priziac